A kitchen helper cleans and sanitizes kitchen equipment, assists in basic food preparation, and with receiving and storing products in kitchens, restaurants, clubs, fast food outlets and catering companies. They have knowledge of general kitchen operations and of general food storage guidelines. Kitchen helpers perform various cleaning, maintenance, preparation, and stocking duties in the kitchens of restaurants, hospitals, schools, and nursing homes. They wash dishes, help cooks prepare meal ingredients, and clean kitchens.
- Location: Burnaby, BC
- Salary: $15.65 hourly for 30 to 40 hours per week
- Terms of employment: Permanent employment
- Day, Evening, Weekend, Morning
- Start date: Starts as soon as possible
- Vacancies: 2 vacancies
We are looking to hire a hard-working kitchen helper to clean, stock, and maintain the kitchen as well as help with the preparation of meal ingredients. The kitchen helper’s responsibilities include retrieving ingredients from the refrigerator, freezer, and stockroom, measuring ingredients as per the cook’s instructions, and removing leftovers from patrons’ plates, bowls, and glasses. You should also be able to ensure that all work areas are properly sanitized.
To be successful as a kitchen helper, you should demonstrate sound knowledge of proper food handling procedures and remove expired or spoiled ingredients from the refrigerator, freezer, and stockroom. Ultimately, an outstanding kitchen helper should be able to follow all food health and safety regulations and display exceptional organizational skills to ensure the timely completion of kitchen duties.
Kitchen Helper Responsibilities:
- Preparing meal ingredients for the cook, which includes washing, peeling, cutting, and slicing ingredients.
- Assisting kitchen staff to unload food supplies from delivery trucks.
- Properly washing and drying all dishes, utensils, cooking instruments and cutting boards.
- Neatly putting away all utensils, cooking instruments, dishes, and cutting boards in their respective places.
- Packing take-out orders as needed.
- Removing garbage, replacing garbage bags, and washing garbage cans.
- Mopping and sweeping the kitchen areas as required.
- Storing ingredients and food items according to food safety standards.
Kitchen Helper Responsibilities:
- High school diploma or GED.
- Proven experience helping in kitchen settings.
- A food handler’s license.
- The ability to stand for extended periods of time.
- The ability to safely use kitchen equipment and appliances.
- Sound knowledge of food safety standards and procedures.
- Strong communication skills.
- Excellent organizational skills.
- No degree, certificate or diploma
- Clean and sanitize items such as dishwasher mats, carts and waste disposal units
- Operate dishwashers to wash dishes, glassware and flatware
- Place dishes in storage area
- Sanitize and wash dishes and other items by hand
- Scour pots and pans
- Keep records of the quantities of food used
- Prepare, heat and finish simple food items
- Use manual and electrical appliances to clean, peel, slice and trim foodstuffs
- Clean and sanitize kitchen including work surfaces, cupboards, storage areas, appliances and equipment
- Handle and store cleaning products
- Receive, unpack and store supplies in refrigerators, freezers, cupboards and other storage areas
- Remove kitchen garbage and trash
- Sharpen kitchen knives
- Sweep, mop, wash and polish floors
- Wash, peel and cut vegetables and fruit
Work conditions and physical capabilities
- Fast-paced environment
- Standing for extended periods
Who can apply to this job?
The employer accepts applications from:
- Canadian citizens and permanent residents of Canada.
- Other candidates with or without a valid Canadian work permit.
How to apply
#203-4501 North Rd.