Work in a slaughtering or meat packing establishment to prepare meat for sale by performing precision tasks, such as stunning, skinning and trimming; cutting standard cuts of meat for marketing; cleaning and salting hides; making sausage; preparing meats for salting; and wrapping meats. Butchers take larger wholesale sections of meat and break them down into smaller portions or custom cuts which can be sold to customers. They break down meats, design signs and displays, and speak to customers to answer questions and handle requests.
- Location: Beausejour, MB
- Salary: $14.00 to $20.00 hourly for 40 hours per week
- Terms of employment: Permanent employment
- Day, Early Morning, Morning
- Start date: Starts as soon as possible
- Benefits: Other benefits
- Vacancies: 10 vacancies
We are looking for a skilled Butcher to provide high-quality meats and services to our customers. The Butcher will perform quality inspections, use meat grinders, knives, saws, and other tools to cut meat down into smaller portions, weigh, price, and package cuts, and ensure that displays and signage are attractive and eye-catching. You will also speak to customers to determine their needs, provide advice regarding proper cuts of meat and preparation methods, and coordinate pickups or deliveries.
To succeed as a Butcher, you should be courteous, knowledgeable, and detail-oriented. You should have excellent communication skills and a strong understanding of meat quality, cuts, and preparation.
- Cutting, grinding and preparing meats for sale.
- Cleaning and maintaining tools and equipment and ensuring displays and signage are accurate and attractive.
- Weighing, packaging, pricing, and displaying products.
- Keeping records, budgets, and inventory.
- Performing quality inspections on meats and other products.
- Negotiating and confirming orders with suppliers.
- Adhering to food safety and sanitation controls.
- Greeting and speaking to customers, providing advice, answering questions, and accepting orders or payments.
- Coordinating deliveries or order pickups.
- Education or food preparation or meat cutting experience.
- Ability to use hand tools, stand or walk for extending periods, lift heavy items, and work in cold environments.
- Additional training is often required.
- Knowledge of meat preparation techniques and cuts.
- Strong communication, task management, and customer service skills.
- No degree, certificate or diploma
Experience an asset
Work site environment
- Slaughter houses
- Meat processing and/or packing plant/establishment
- Slaughter livestock and remove viscera and other inedible parts from carcasses
- Cut beef, lamb, pork or veal carcasses or sides or quarters of carcasses into primal cuts for further cutting, processing or packaging
- Remove bones from meat
Experience and specialization
Equipment and machinery experience
- Power cutting tools
- Stunning devices
Work conditions and physical capabilities
- Repetitive tasks
- Handling heavy loads
- Physically demanding
- Manual dexterity
- Attention to detail
- Hand-eye co-ordination
- Combination of sitting, standing, walking
- Standing for extended periods
- Bending, crouching, kneeling
- Up to 23 kg (50 lbs)
- Steel-toed safety boots
- Team player
- Free parking available
Who can apply to this job?
Only apply to this job if:
- You are a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident of Canada.
- You have a valid Canadian work permit.
If you are not authorized to work in Canada, do not apply. The employer will not respond to your application.
How to apply