Food Buyers are responsible for selecting new products and reviewing old ones – working with suppliers, they have to be in tune with market demand, ensuring the right products are stocked at the right time, and for the right price. Also known as purchasing agents and procurement specialists, Buyers research, evaluate and purchase merchandise such as clothing, electronic goods, food etc., to resell to customers at retail or wholesale companies.
- Location: Halifax, NS
- Salary: $25.00 hourly for 35 to 40 hours per week
- Terms of employment: Permanent employment
- Start date: Starts as soon as possible
- Vacancies: 1 vacancy
We are seeking a driven and detail-oriented Buyer to be responsible for selecting and purchasing quality products for our business. Your responsibilities will include processing purchase orders, negotiating with suppliers, tracking orders, creating and maintaining an inventory, quality assurance and liaising with inventory teams and management. The buyer will work with staff across departments to forecast the needs of the business and make purchase decisions based on demand.
The Buyer should be analytically minded and possess excellent negotiating skills to secure the best prices according to budget. Knowledge of sales and marketing principles is advantageous.
- Research, select and purchase quality products and materials.
- Build relationships with suppliers and negotiate with them for the best pricing.
- Process requisitions and update management on status of orders.
- Update inventory and ensure that stock levels are kept at appropriate levels.
- Arrange transport of goods and track orders to ensure timely delivery.
- Analyze market trends and apply this knowledge to make insightful buying decisions.
- Coordinate with inventory team, management, and stockroom as required.
- Assess quality of stock received and escalate any discrepancies to suppliers and management.
- Ability to travel.
- Bachelor’s Degree in relevant field.
- Relevant experience preferred.
- Excellent computer skills (Excel, Microsoft Word, PowerPoint).
- Proficient in appropriate software.
- Critical thinking and negotiation skills.
- Strong communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Occasional domestic and/or international travel.
Experience an asset
- Establish and maintain contact with suppliers
- Maintain adequate stock levels
- Negotiate prices, discounts, credit terms and transportation arrangements with suppliers
- Provide customer service
- Review requirements of establishment and determine quantity and type of merchandise to purchase
- Select and purchase merchandise for resale
- Study market reports, trade periodicals and sales promotion materials and visit trade shows, showrooms, factories and product design events
- Visit trade shows, showrooms, factories and product design events
This employer promotes equal employment opportunities for all job applicants, including those self-identifying as a member of these groups: Indigenous people, Newcomers to Canada, Veterans
Who can apply to this job?
The employer accepts applications from:
- Canadian citizens and permanent residents of Canada.
- Other candidates with or without a valid Canadian work permit.
How to apply