Concrete finishers pour, level, and smooth concrete for surfaces such as roads, curbs, floors, and sidewalks. Duties may include cutting expansion joints with a power saw, aligning forms to desired depth and pitch, directing the casting of concrete, preparing and cleaning surface areas, and completing moldings using a variety of hand-held and power tools.
- Location: Saskatoon, SK
- Salary: $25.50 to $26.00 hourly for 40 to 50 hours per week
- Terms of employment: Permanent employment
- Day, Morning
- Start date: Starts as soon as possible
- Vacancies: 3 vacancies
We are looking to hire an experienced concrete finisher who can expertly pour, level, and smooth concrete on a variety of surfaces including roads, sidewalks, curbs, and floors. You may also be required to set the forms that hold the concrete in place, patch existing surfaces, cut expansion joints, and monitor the curing of the concrete to ensure a high-quality finish.
To be a successful concrete finisher, you must possess the skills necessary for the trade and be familiar with the latest concrete pouring technology. We are looking for someone who can work shifts if necessary, over weekends, and at night. You should also be physically fit and be able to stand for long periods of time, work on your knees, lift heavy materials, and work outdoors in high heat and cold weather.
Concrete Finisher Responsibilities:
- Setting forms that hold the concrete in place.
- Cleaning and inspecting surfaces for pouring issues.
- Directing the casting of the concrete with the truck driver.
- Pouring, smoothing, and leveling concrete using a rake, trowel, float, and screed. This includes handheld tools and power tool versions.
- Monitoring the effects of the weather on the curing process.
- Applying sealing and hardening components.
- Safely operating power vibrator to ensure the concrete is compacted.
- Molding and constructing expansion joints using joiners and edging tools.
- Polishing surface using a power surfacing machine.
Concrete Finisher Requirements:
- High school diploma.
- Minimum 2 years work experience as a concrete laborer or mason.
- Ability to stand for long periods.
- Ability to lift heavy materials and work long hours.
- Ability to kneel for long periods.
- Knowledge of hand-held and power tools including power vibrators, polishers, cutting saws, and edging tools.
- Able to work shifts, at night and on public holidays as required.
- Secondary (high) school graduation certificate
3 years to less than 5 years
Work site environment
- At heights
- Sidewalks and curbs
- Fill hollows and remove spots on freshly poured cement
- Operate power vibrators to compact concrete
- Level top surface concrete according to grade and depth specification
- Work at heights, on scaffolding or swing stages
- Impart desired finish to concrete surfaces using hand and power tools
- Install anchor bolts, steel plates, door sills and other fixtures
- Repair, resurface and replace worn or damaged sections of concrete structures
Work conditions and physical capabilities
- Physically demanding
- Handling heavy loads
- Bending, crouching, kneeling
- Attention to detail
- Standing for extended periods
- Steel-toed safety boots
- Team player
- Are you currently legally able to work in Canada?
- Do you have previous experience in this field of employment?
- What is the highest level of study you have completed?
Who can apply to this job?
The employer accepts applications from:
- Canadian citizens and permanent residents of Canada.
- Other candidates with or without a valid Canadian work permit.
How to apply
Here is what you must include in your application:
- Cover letter
- Highest level of education and name of institution where it was completed