Farmworkers ensure the overall quality of a ranch or farm is maintained. This can include a litany of tasks, including harvesting crops, operating tools and feeding the livestock. Farmworkers are also typically expected to maintain a property’s irrigation system to ensure all the soil and crops remain properly irrigated.
Excellent physical stamina and strength is a necessity in this line of work, which should be expressed in your farmworker job description. Mechanical prowess and the ability to troubleshoot will also come in handy.
- Location: Surrey, BC
- Salary: $19.00 hourly for 40 hours per week
- Terms of employmentPermanent employment
- Day, Evening, Night, Early Morning, Morning
- Start date: Starts as soon as possible
- Benefits: Health benefits
- Vacancies: 30 vacancies
Do you enjoy getting down and dirty and working with your hands? If you answered yes, then a career as a farmworker might be right up your alley because this is one profession where no two days will be alike. You may be expected to harvest vegetables one day and repair fences the next. Anyone who considers him or herself to be a jack of all trades and loves learning new skills should absolutely apply. If there is a skill you are unfamiliar with, you do not have to worry because you will work directly with the head farmer and receive comprehensive on-site training.
- Operate several different types of machinery, including tractors, irrigation equipment and harvesters, to carry out responsibilities of role
- Repair equipment when it breaks down and perform routine maintenance to identify problems before they escalate
- Harvest vegetables by hand and check every item to ensure it meets farm’s standards while tossing away items that do not pass that threshold
- Herd cattle and once a week take them to nearby pasture for grazing; maintain vigilant eye to make sure none of the animals wander off
- Apply chemical solutions to plants to ward off insects and other pests
- Maintain communications with clients to keep them in the loop when a shipment is going to be delivered
- Clean housing areas of animals once a week or more frequently if a certain area becomes uninhabitable
- Assist in birth deliveries with farm animals, which may require administering the proper medication to help the animal push the newborn along
Job Skills & Qualifications
- Excellent physical stamina
- Ability to lift up to 50 pounds
- Exceptional communication skills, both written and verbal
- Ability to meet strict deadlines
- High school diploma or GED
- Knowledge of how to use cargo trucks, harvesters and haymaking machinery is good to have, but on-site training is offered
- Secondary (high) school graduation certificate
Experience an asset
- Plant, cultivate and irrigate crops
- Fertilize and spray crops
- Harvest crops
- Operate and maintain farm machinery and equipment
- Write daily basic progress reports
- Set and monitor water lines, air flow and temperature in barns, pens and chicken coops
- Health care plan
This employer promotes equal employment opportunities for all job applicants, including those self-identifying as a member of these groups: Indigenous people, Newcomers to Canada, Youth
Who can apply to this job?
Only apply to this job if:
- You are a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident of Canada.
- You have a valid Canadian work permit.
If you are not authorized to work in Canada, do not apply. The employer will not respond to your application.
How to apply